The United States has a system of engineering and engineering technology education with opportunities for everyone. Any international student who graduates from secondary school or the equivalent can pursue engineering higher education in one form or another. In 2009, over 118,000 international students studied engineering or engineering technology in the US, fully 16% of the 671,000 international students that chose the US as their study destination.
Engineering Technology/Technicians - 111,532
Transportation and Materials Moving - 1,047
Construction Trades - 602
Mechanic and Repair Technologies/Technicians - 515
Precision Production - 56
Click the tabs to the right to learn more about the advantages of a US engineering degree for internationals students. To learn more about a specific advantage click any of the following:
- Engineering and Engineering Credentials in the USA - not only are there a wide variety of degrees available - bachelor's and associate's degrees - but also specialized and dual (joint) degrees. To learn more about 3-4 year bachelor's degrees in engineering and engineering technology, click here. To learn more about specialized bachelor's degrees in engineering disciplines, click here. To learn more about 3-5 year dual (joint) degrees, click here. To learn more about 2-year associate's degrees in engineering and engineering technology, click here.
- Many Areas of Engineering and Engineering Technology From Which to Choose - with typically 120 - 128 credit hours in a 4-year bachelor's degree in enginering, students are able to choose from a range of engineering and non-engineering specializations and electives. To learn more about engineering sub-disciplines, click here.
- Flexible Programs of Study in Engineering - from full- and part-time to online delivery formats, to co-op and international exchange. To learn more about flexible programs of study in engineering and engineering technology, click here.
- Accreditation of US Engineering Schools Assures Academic Quality, Improvement and
Accountability - the US pioneered accreditation of engineering schools and today US schools, in addition to voluntary accreditation with the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), also seek accreditation through the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET). To learn more about accreditation of US engineering programs, click here.
- Engineering Education in a Multicultural Environment - learn from engineering professors and students from all over the world. To learn more about engineering education in a multicultural environment, click here.
Why International Students Should Enrol In A US Engineering Program - click here for four of the most important reasons why you should enrol in a US engineering program.
Starting Salaries For Engineering Graduates - You can also view starting salaries for US engineering graduates